Saturday, November 1, 2008

Propylene Oxide

Here's a little story I remember about Propylene Oxide.

The year that I took my Knucklehead to Bonneville and failed so badly, mainly because I couldn't seem to stop it from wobbling when I made a gear change. When we pulled in to the Bonneville area and found a motel, the weather was really hot and dry. We checked in and went to unload the truck which had the bike and all the gear in the back. There was the bike, spare parts, clothing and tools. I had two five gallon cans of nitro, three gallons of Alkie and a one gallon can of PO. Right next to the Motel was this cliff that had about a 200 ft drop to the bottom.

As we approached the truck my wife said, what's that noise. Some kind of rattle sound coming from the back of the truck. I took the back door off and there was that can of PO held in place by a bungee cord and it was jumping up and down about a inch. I had just ventured into the use of PO and didn't know a lot about it yet. Every one of the family started to back away from the truck. I didn't know what to do and we were the first to check into this Motel, no one to ask. First thing I thought of was heat so I found a long stick and picked up the can and carried it to the room and put it in the bathtub and started running cold water on it, it vibrated and bounce up and down the tub. It scared me so bad that I picked it up again with that stick and carried out side to that cliff and let the can fall to the bottom, nothing happened. I looked down to the bottom and there laid that can of PO still intact but it stayed there and I didn't use any PO at Bonneville.

Can anyone tell me why the can of PO did that.

No comments: